One step closer

If you have been following my blog you might have noticed my interest in the technology surrounding today's Web. I would suggest you to read this then this and finally this so you can have an idea of what my point of view is and how it have evolved on this subject. I would like to quote myself on the first one posted around 2005:

In my vision of what future may be the OS and the Internet will be fused together so everything we will have to care about its what browser to use, because every tool, program, game will be hosted in the Internet. So all we will need its a great broadband connection and a good browser/OS to link us to all that. 

Some call it Web 2.0 but to me its going an step further. Specially after recent announcement of Amazon's Kindle Fire and even more with its companion Amazon Silk browser which in few words is a split-architecture part device part cloud powered browser. Sounds familiar right?

You might want to take a look at this video posted on the official Amazon's Silk official blog:




I always believed Google was the one to bring it to us first but their attempts (Android, Chrome, Chrome OS) didn't get as close to what I have dreamed about as what Amazon is achieving. And that is good news! It means competition and it means a really interesting race coming up.

But...

There is still something that is worrying me. And its about the networks and their ability to adapt and to race at the same speed the devices and software companies are going. Carriers need to find a way to bring high speed connections to the masses ASAP. Of course it is much more easy to say it than to actually do it. The amount of investment necessary to deploy a network capable of taking the load of millions of devices accessing the Web and relying on the Web to operate is gigantic but the benefits they will get once it is deployed will be gigantic too. If you think we live today on a connected world I say it is just the beginning.

Update:
After my first excitement while writing this post I encountered something thanks to a colleague. "This is not new!".  So I had to recheck. Its true that there are solutions already available that do "proxy/cache/compress" as Opera product lines do. But are they the same? And just like me this guy doesn't think so. On my opinion is going a little bit further. Its not only about how fast the web loads by receiving a compressed version of the actual content. I believe it is about trying to obtain the same full web experience by relying work on the cloud that otherwise the device and the browser would have to do with the known implications of energy consumption and performance. It means trying to obtain a balance between what the devices can do efficiently and what should be left to the cloud to do.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RabbitMQ first reactions

Start-up

A Product Architect?